Let’s face it. Weddings can be stressful. They can be expensive.
Sometimes, scrapping the entire thing and flying off for a destination wedding is just the ticket you need to avoid the wedding blues and start having
fun planning your big day.
Look at All These Pros
There are so many pros when it comes to destination weddings. Among them:
- Affordable. No, really. Destination weddings can be surprisingly affordable.
- Avoid guest list arguments. You’ll have to keep the guest list small, so arguments over whether you should invite your third cousin Betty will be nonexistent.
- Save money on the honeymoon by combining your destination wedding with your honeymoon.
- You’ll get to spend quality time with each guest who makes the trip, whereas with a traditional wedding, you may have a hard time spending truly quality time with upwards of one or two hundred guests.
Sure, there are some cons, too—not all of your loved ones will be there for your big day, for example. But your job is to see if the pros outweigh the cons…and then decide if a destination wedding is right for you.
Focus on What Really Matters to You
Since you’ll be saving money on the reception, the honeymoon, and the overall wedding itself, that money can be put toward what really matters to you and your soon-to-be spouse. Are flowers a must-have on your dream wedding list? Go all out and make your ceremony and reception a garden paradise. Is photography at the top of your priorities (as it should be)? Then put that money toward a professional photographer who knows his stuff—and who is experienced with shooting destination weddings. It’s up to you which areas to put that extra money toward.
Some Killer Destinations to Consider
Let’s be hypothetical and assume that you’ve decided on a destination wedding. Where in the world should you go? Here are a few great ideas:
- Turks and Caicos. Talk about paradise! If your idea of the perfect destination wedding involves beaches and luxury resorts, check into Turks and Caicos, one of the most popular vacation destinations.
- Ventura Beach. California has it all, and Ventura Beach is just one special part of the state. Again for the beach-lover, this area will keep you in the country while still giving you the tropical ambiance you’re going after.
- Asheville. Known for its history and culture, Asheville, North Carolina, is a premier destination for weddings. Weddings in Asheville are magical, as there are many venues that can provide the mountain feel you’re going for, and there are just as many venues that can provide you with a more upscale atmosphere—hello, Biltmore Estate! The sky is the limit.