You are planning on taking maternity photography with your newest impending addition to the family and you don't have any idea what to wear for your maternity photography session? We have taken the stress out of this emotional and hormone filled period of your life and will give you 7 simple suggestions for your maternity photography wardrobe. Don't over think it. Go simple and support your outfit with style through your accessories. Pick two outfits for your maternity photoshoot, one dress (maxi) and maybe one pants (jeans) - more on both of these below.
1. The Maxi Dress - This dress is perfect for your maternity photography session for so many reasons. For starters, it's incredibly comfortable and easy to put on and take off. This is especially important if you are utilizing more than one outfit for your maternity photography session. Secondly, because of it's flowing nature and thin material, it offers a beautiful outline and silhouette for your maternity photographs. It can also easily be pulled against the body to show off your adorable bump - and that's the point after all right? Finally, I love the maxi dress because it's incredibly flexible during the photoshoot and enables me to make it flow with the wind during your photoshoot.
2. The Belt - I jokingly call this "the breast belt" because when you wear it, it will sit just below the bosom and right at the top of your belly. I like the belt because you can use it to tighten up loose clothing and helps create a delineation that better defines your belly. the alternate colors of the belt also provide some separation and offsets the clothing making it more defined in the maternity photograph. I prefer a smaller thinner belt as well.
3. Wear solid colors - Avoid distracting colors like bright orange and yellow or overly gregarious patterns and prints. Solid colors better define your bump and show up better in the maternity photograph. If you are shooting with a partner, it's ok if he/she wears patterns. Don't let them get to carried away though, the focal point should be YOU and YOUR belly, not their shirt.
4. Tight Outfits are best - I know you don't feel your sexiest and the last thing you want to do is squeeze into your skinny capri's. But you will soon be your sexiest again soon. Don't fret. Maybe find a sexy little body dress, again, wear neutral colors.
5. Keep it Simple - The point of maternity photography is to capture you and your belly during this momentous occasion. You will want to look back on these maternity photos for years to come. So don't overdo your wardrobe, keep it simple and timeless. Jeans, boots, scarves, simple tops, etc.
6. Go Sexy - maybe - If you're bold and daring, maybe incorporate something a little bit sexy into the mix. A cami, a bare belly, don't worry about your pregnant lines, a great maternity photgrapher can edit these out. Your partner and you will love these sexy maternity boudoir photographs.
7. Two, maybe Three outfits - Remember, you are most likely shooting these on-location somewhere. You don't want to be marching back and forth
changing every few minutes. Work with your photographer to come up with 1-3 simple outfits that can easily be changed into. My suggestions
are 1. Maxi Dress. 2. Jeans, boots, simple top. 3. Bare belly and bra or camisole and that is it. Now go forth mom to be and rock
out this maternity photoshoot - you got this!